also visit sporeboyindelhi.com

13 Dec 2008

From minority to majority.

This was a blog entry I wanted to post a few days back :)

makaned BBQ sting ray, hokkien mee, mega-size sugar cane juice...


I awoke from my jet-lagged rest thinking how it will actually be like when I return home permanently in August. The prospect is drawing close, and its scary.

I went out to buy lunch today from my neighbourhood coffeeshop. I ordered pork ribs with rice. Whilst waiting for it, I went to the local grocer to buy some juice, but I got more than that; the lady working behind the counter started to bitch about her mundane life, how eating the same lunch for the past 4 years was miserable. I quietly sneaked out by hiding behind the display shelves.


shots from the bus stop at home.


After a quiet afternoon at home, I took a Singapore bus-ride for the first time since returning. It was a familiar experience, one that brought a quiet smile to my face. From waiting for the bus at an ants-infested bus-stop, to boarding the bus as the cool air-conditioned air contrasts the humid, sticky wait at the bus-stop. The warm afternoon sun making it conducive for an afternoon nap in the cool bus, punctuated by the familiar buzz the bus bell. Finally, I arrived at City Hall.



As I walked around town, again too many things felt so familiar it felt like I was just here last week. Yet, there was something different. After seeing much more of the world, even home seems a little different, somehow.

I still cannot fully figure it out, being home but feeling like a stranger at the same time. Perhaps I'm not meant to figure it out, and that it just is this way. Even seeing Caucasians in town made me just sit up, for no reason.

Perhaps it is becoming the majority once more after being a minority for so long.



Uncle T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments. Don't think, just whack.