also visit sporeboyindelhi.com

13 Jan 2009

Gaza Crisis: getting lost in the numbers

910 dead; 292 children, 76 women. For the past 17 days, each time I awake to BBC Radio, or read the news, it will be a new number that is mentioned. 30 air strikes in a night, more women and children dead, hospitals overflowing...


When it first happened 17 days ago when Israel launched retaliatory missile fire on Gaza, I was still holidaying in Singapore. I sat up. Watched the videos, scanned the photos. My heart honestly ached. I prayed, especially hard since it was fast approaching the New Year; don't all peoples deserve a decent start to a new year, wherever you are?

But soon, the videos online would be the same; either more smoke and debris, whistling rockets or more blood and crying. I either was numb or couldn't be bothered; I just wasn't affected anymore. I got lost on the numbers, forgetting that these were individual lives lost, mostly innocently.

And then, it all came rushing back again. By setting an example, the Catholic chaplain here in the university asked us all to say prayers for the people of Gaza, who whilst the world ushered in the new year with fireworks, saw the new year come and go as missiles light the sky. The only resolution they get to make is to make sure they stay alive as best as possible; even then that is taken out of their hands.

Human lives are being lost. Individual lives. I don't know how to help. The righteous political bantering amongst the two sides, Hamas and Israel, trying to justify their view is sickening and pathetic. Yet, I am not sure how else I'll act should I be in their position.


All I am asking is for you, me, us, to be aware that there is a disaster going on in Gaza. And should the chance arise for us to help, let's do so.

Click here for more info on the crisis. Let's not turn our backs on the photos, and not get lost in the numbers.


Uncle T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments. Don't think, just whack.