also visit sporeboyindelhi.com

1 Nov 2009

Back here again.

I was here just yesterday, but I'm back here again, in the same seat. The same smell, the same feel-good feeling. It is my space, a place where I feel in touch with my "inner-self". Its so hard to describe this feeling; quiet solitude perhaps.

long-black


latte


bone-dry cappuccino


a bit of brooklyn in singapore.
It is no surprise this is a coffee place. Despite being on the other side of the world, it reminds me of Gorilla Coffee in Brooklyn, New York. Other than the smell, its the passion with which they serve their coffee. In this way, whenever I miss the nice warm fuzzy feeling of being on 5th Ave Brooklyn, I'll want to come here in Newton. My space, my place.

I often have spoken of the beauty of randomness, and I was blessed once more yesterday to experience it.

After lunch with Jiawei, we came round to the kopi place. It roasts its own coffee beans and serve amazing Brasilian coffee in cupfuls of passion; cappuccinos with a floral finish on the foam. I had a chat with the owner. That casual chat turned out to be an engaging conversation and respect for my new-found acquaintance. We shared ideas, he about his coffee empire and I about my lofty social and artistic ideals.

sharing spaces | kopi place


floral warmth | kopi place

living (out) daydreams
I miss meeting people who dream. And take action; living out their daydreams.

Suddenly he asks if I'll like to curate the gallery space he owns. Out of the blue. I hesitate; I'm still hesitating. But one thing I didn't hesitate was to grab a cab immediately and headed down to see this gallery in Bukit Timah. Wow.

Formerly 2 separate simple accommodation, it has now been turned into a charming gallery space with about 30 walls, currently adorned with Leslie's captivating paintings. (Leslie is currently sitting across me in the kopi place and she walks over to offer me a home-made cinnamon cookie. Home.) One might look at the two different painting mediums and think they were by two different artists, but Leslie assures me they are all her work as she walks around the gallery with me; she does both oil on canvas as well as Chinese ink paintings. With some pieces, she mixes the mediums, carrying with it that very nature that characterises many Singaporeans; brought up on Asian values but grew up amidst Western culture.

Brought up on Asian values but grew up amidst Western culture; Singaporeans.


from strangers to inspiration
It poured hard prophetically on that Halloween night as we left the gallery. Leslie, whom I only met today, gave me a ride to join my parents for dinner. Strangers I met, now new-found inspirations.

Is it not beautiful how randomness can turn out? But we, I, must stay open to the endless possibilities and opportunities this world may offer, wherever we may be in the world.

Anywhere, anytime, we can find our space, our place. Home; home is where the heart lies, where the being finds rest. Cheem, but possibly true.

"its all been written" | kopi place


gallery space @ bkt timah

Uncle T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments. Don't think, just whack.