also visit sporeboyindelhi.com

30 Apr 2009

A Day as a FB Whore

One day, a friend put videos of us performing. I was singing. I then put it on my FB profile.

Soon, I get a flood of positive comments on my FB wall. I am, or rather my email inbox, gets overwhelmed. It is a nice feeling, that rush of ego-juice poured all over your exhibitionist-self and FB profile.

So this is how it is like, a taste of being a FB whore, of being a popular figure online, the famous blogger. No, I'm not famous, but I believe this overwhelming gush of ego-phoria is a microcosm of the sensations these online super-stars get; and I didn't do it by looking doe-eyed into a camera with 3-inch thick mascara. Kudos!

But it has dawned upon me, in the advent of the globalising of personal space and in the face of user-defined content of myspace, facebook, youtube, anybody can be a somebody. The only question is how; put a ridiculous video of you and your mates drunk, be a middle-aged Scottish lady who sings opera, be a cleavage-bearing interview-with-yourself youtuber...

Most importantly, these avenues gives us all a chance, even with the simplest capacity to change our status on FB, to let that exhibitionist in us come into fruitation.

My only fear is then that this reality gives us all a false sense of self, and possibly a false sense of grandoise.

Goodbye humility. See you after humanity implodes on its ego.


ps. click here to see the video that inspired this post (assuming the link works) or just hope onto my facebook to check it out. I told you I was the whore.

Uncle T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments. Don't think, just whack.