also visit sporeboyindelhi.com

31 May 2009

Which reality is the real one?

Our Fantasy Worlds
Magic has always belonged to the fantasy world we all dabbled in whilst we were kids. Well, some still do visit this fantasy world even beyond kidhood. But even they would admit that the fantasy world of magic is different from the "real world". In fact, if fantasy was that close to reality perhaps many of us would not even pay attention to it; its after all only in the world of fantasy that we can magically torture the loathsome teachers with boils.


Potter's Reality vs. Our Reality
Take Harry Potter for example. For most of his life before going to Hogwart's School of Magic, his reality was the one of cruel mundanity, regular life of a normal human, a Muggle. Then, suddenly that reality changes as he goes off to magic school and trains to become a wizard. His reality now changes to one of magic. Our fantasy is his reality. Or is it?

Harry still has to go back to his Muggle life every school holiday, an approximate excrutiating 5 months, which is nearly half a year. So which is Harry's reality then? Life of a famous wizard, which only lasts half a year, or the other half, one of a Muggle being ill-treated at home? His reality is our fantasy, yet possibly our reality is his nightmare.

My point is this: which reality is our reality? When we are with friends, we are different from the "us" that are with our parents; the "me" in the UK for the past 3 years may be different from the "me" back home. Which is the real reality? Even my body is unsure; the weather has turned warmer, and by right, I should be pleased as I have lived in the tropics for 20 years. Yet, as I jog through the woods, my body repulses the growing humidity and yearn for a little more cool.

Why is this question important you ask? Well, it is important at harbingers of big changes in our lives. It is important at transition points in our lives don't you think? I'm so used to living independently in the UK. Now, I have to go home to, yes a reality I am familiar with, but not necessarily one that I look forward to. Yet, should I now readjust my expectations/ personality going back to Singapore? But why should I if the reality is the "me" in the UK, and any readjustment may be going against reality?


Philosophical Answer: watch Harry Potter
Wah, this is getting cheem. Reality is defined as the state of things as they really are. Perhaps ask yourself what is your reality? Who are you, really? Are you "you" because that is truly "you" or because others expect that of you?

I don't know. Perhaps watch the pentology of Harry Potter movies. Like I did.



Uncle T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments. Don't think, just whack.