also visit sporeboyindelhi.com

15 Dec 2008

Sunday Blues (or Greens, Reds, Yellows?)

sick of makaning. but still had malaysian curry puff, nasi lemak, crystal jade congee...

We arrived back from KL after battling our way past the pack of cars trying to squeeze through Singapore Customs at the Tuas checkpoint, ferocious cars trying to squeeze into lines that snaked onto the second-link bridge.


Do we think we are our gods?
I drove out for dinner this evening. Along the way out and back, I saw 3 road accidents in total. Nothing too uncommon, but this mundane fact struck a chord today as I was behind the wheels. A chord of fear, with a melody of rude realisation.

Do we think we are our own gods? Cars zig-zagged and overtook me today rushing in and out of town. Worst, many did not signal as they squeezed into tight spots, causing other cars to jam breaks. In my personal analysis, all were dangerous maneouvers. But I'm pretty sure my friends do it too, and would think nothing of it. There were battle of egos; cars not willing to give in and insist on forcing their way forward, I myself having a near-miss as a lorry decided to ignore the fact that I had the right of way by being forward-moving traffic and squeeze in infront of me. It scared the ego out of me.

Did we think that our wills and egos would make us impregnable against errors of judgement, both ours and of others? I don't know the answer. All I know is that I felt fear on the roads today; fear that others think that they are in control and possibly believe that they are good enough that bad things won't happen to them. I'm certain some involved in the 3 accidents thought the same as well.


Crusing through the dark pitter patter

After a lovely evening with a lovely dinner date, I cruised home on the highways I used to travel on through the wee hours of the morning. This evening, it was raining. As I stared past the wind-screen wipers (I still find them amusing, the way wipers move across the windscreen) and see ruby breaklights popping up in front, I smiled. I miss, and enjoy, driving through the night. With music playing, its a lovely, peaceful escape from city life. Cities are noisy, crowded. I guess somethings never change. I still have a love-hate with cities. Do you?


Fighting the fights
We often are faced with challenges in life. It then falls upon ourselves to take up the challenge and fight or walk away. For the good number of us brave souls who know no better, we often take up the fight. For now, let's ignore those who decide to walk away, but we never know when the challenge presents itself again.

But for those who jump in the ring and fight, that is, standing by our principles, working against societal norms, facing difficulties head-on, do we know if we are fighting a good fight or a bad fight? Stories like David and Goliath often delude us into thinking a bad fight is a good fight worth fighting, don't they? And even if it were a good fight, where we grow to be the wiser and the stronger afterwards, when do we know to throw in the towel, or even to entertain that option?

How do we know when to walk away and when to take up the fight, the good fight? And if it were a good fight, when do we know to throw in the towel, to know we've fought enough to gain the good and not die from it?

I don't know. Is this too deep to think about? Or is life simpler than smelly towels and sweaty fights? But I salute all who decide to stay and fight, good or bad.

Uncle T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments. Don't think, just whack.