also visit sporeboyindelhi.com

13 May 2009

What I will miss: Singaporean in London.

A friend just recently moved into London. I asked how was things settling into the new city and new job. She spoke of the Lush store (a cosmetics shop), jazz outdoors, tea.

Possibly, that is what I will miss about London. Not the Lush store, but rather the possibilities that London provides. Sometimes seemingly boundless. The free gay cabarets, the nostalgic walks through Borough Market on a Saturday, the close-by gun crimes of Elephant and Castle, the magical musicals that take me back to childhood, the random discussion with street buskers...Boundless. That is what I'll miss; the boundless possibilities.

What I'm implicitly implying is that these possibilities will vanish once I move home come July. But how true is that? To be fair, I have to prevent myself from being overly-romantic about London; there are a huge number of times the city frustrates. Inefficient transport, drunk drunks, smelly streets...Besides, very often possibilities are for oneself to carve out. I honestly believe Singapore will provide me new opportunities to discover new "possibilties". Cynical as I may be, having equally cynical friends does not help, I honestly believe it.

But that does not mean I will not miss the Londonesque possibilities; where I first bought my film SLR, wondering the streets of London, chatting with an oil trader in a cafe...

I guess London will be London, and Singapore will be Singapore. Each has its own potential for possibilities; a Londoner in Singapore may be equally nostalgic as this Singaporean in London.

Just maybe.

Uncle T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments. Don't think, just whack.